Yacuanquer - Coffee
Date | Nougat | Stewed Pear
Whole bean roasted coffee. Choose bag size above.
- Origin: Nariño, Colombia
- Producers: "The Pickers Project"
- Process: Washed
- Variety: Caturra, Castillo
- Altitude: 2000-2300 meters above sea level
The elevations in Nariño are quite literally breathtaking.The coffee growing areas, while very high themselves, are actually lower down the mountains than many of the towns and roads. Coffee grows on steep slopes, which are tended to by hand. So much of the coffee in Nariño has been blended and sold simply as “Nariño”, but that’s starting to change.
The municipality of Yacuanquer is situated south of Pasto, Nariño’s capital. Azahar, the coffee exporter we work with, has started a project there to train coffee pickers on practices to optimize quality. Not only picking ripe, but sorting at the end of the day, and maintaining cleanliness are incredibly important to the coffees’s quality. Azahar had seen the effects of depressed coffee prices in the area and was worried for coffee’s future. The Pickers Project paid more than twice the normal pay, which is a great start.
As a signatory to the Pledge we share the vision towards the following:
- Ensure a sustainable supply of coffee by working towards a living income for producers so they will continue to invest in the future of their businesses.
- Transparent reporting enables actors along the supply chain to make informed choices. This will help the industry to raise prices paid to farmers and provide living incomes in coffee producing countries.
- Transparency about Free On Board (FOB) Prices is a first step. We encourage all companies and actors along the supply chain to make prices transparent at every step of the supply chain.
- Transparency is a tool to ensure that marketing claims are backed by actual facts.
FOB Pricing - US$ - $2.95
Lot Size - 8008 lbs (50 bags)
Coffee Quality - 85+ (Excellent)
Length of Relationship - 1 Year
Percentage of Transparent Coffee - 77%