Hunapu Espresso - Guatemala
Cherry | Raisin | Caramel
Recommended Starting Parameters: Input: 20g in Shot Length: 33 seconds Output: 40g out
*note above parameters were created using an 18g VST basket on an espresso machine set to 8.5 bars of pressure
WHOLE BEAN COFFEE. CHOOSE BAG SIZE ABOVE.
- Country: Guatemala
- Region: Sacatepequez, Antigua
- Farmer: Small-holder farmers from the village of Ciudad Vieja
- Processing: Traditional 24 fermentation, washed and patio dried
- Variety: Caturra and Bourbon
- Altitude: 1600-1800 meters
Luis Pedro purchases ripe cherries picked from the high-quality bourbon trees of these farms and processes them at his mill, Bella Vista. Every day that the harvest is delivered, a sample of cherries is removed to ensure that the lots have over 90% fully ripe cherries (though the values are usually closer to 98%). Each Day Lot usually yields between 500 and 1000 kg of green coffee and is kept separate for cupping for prospective buyers.
While a majority of the farms are situated between 1500 and 1800 meters above sea level, the lots we purchased this year are solely from producers situated around the village of Ciudad Vieja, just east of the city. The slightly higher elevation gives the coffee a distinct sweetness and makes for a balanced espresso with notes of cherry, raisin and caramel.
Cupping Lab at Bella Vista
Cement fermentation tanks at the Bella Vista Mill
Raised drying beds
Drying patios at the Bella Vista Mill, with a view of the Hunapu Volcano
As a signatory to the Pledge we share the vision towards the following:
- Ensure a sustainable supply of coffee by working towards a living income for producers so they will continue to invest in the future of their businesses.
- Transparent reporting enables actors along the supply chain to make informed choices. This will help the industry to raise prices paid to farmers and provide living incomes in coffee producing countries.
- Transparency about Free On Board (FOB) Prices is a first step. We encourage all companies and actors along the supply chain to make prices transparent at every step of the supply chain.
- Transparency is a tool to ensure that marketing claims are backed by actual facts.
FOB Pricing - US$ - $3.40
Lot Size - 2300 lbs (23 bags)
Coffee Quality - 85+ (Excellent)
Length of Relationship - 5 Year
Percentage of Transparent Coffee - 77%