Gaitania - Coffee
Cinnamon + Hazelnut + Cocoa + Sweet + Rich + Syrupy
12 oz (340 g) whole bean coffee
- Origin: Tolima, Colombia
- Producers: 150 Small Holders
- Cooperative: ASCISP (ASOCIACIÓN DE CAFICULTORES INDÍGENAS DE SAN PEDRO – RESGUARDO INDÍGENA NASA WE’SX)
- Varieties: Caturra, Colombia, Tolima and Castillo
- Altitude: 1600-2050 meters above sea level
- Process: Washed and sun-dried
This coffee comes from the Nasa We’sx ingidenous community from around Planadas, which is in the Tolima department of Colombia. The Nasa We’sx are from tribes that made their home in southern Cauca before being brought into Planadas by the Colombian army early in the 20th century. Gaitania, which we have named this coffee, comes from the subdivision of Planadas that this group of producers calls home. It is a remote area, not connected by roads to the main town.
The rich volcanic soils provided by the imposing Nevado del Huila give the area around Gaitania the conditions to grow some truly remarkable coffee. The 150 members of the association employ organic practices, and de-pulp their own lots before bringing them down to the city for sale.